Apologies about missing the last two Wednesday Pattern Shares! Bad stomach bugs and busy weeks have kept me away, but thankfully I’m on the ball now to share my favourite pattern for this week.
I actually came across this pattern whilst I was looking for the summer knit for the last Wednesday Pattern Share and I’ve fallen completely in love with it!
The pattern is by one of my favourite designers, Bristol Ivy and it’s a lovely jumper. Bristol is a knitwear designer and teacher, and if you’re not familiar with her designs then have a look at her Ravelry page.
I pretty much love all of her designs, and I’m sure this won’t be the only time I share something she has designed. I love her use of texture and form and the way that her patterns are modern and yet also really classic!
Earlier this month I blogged about some vintage patterns I’d found. I’m really keen on making the Robin jumper, so even though I already have two projects on the go I’ve started looking for yarn (one of the projects is almost finished so I think this is actually OK!!).
I want to knit the jumper in a cotton yarn and was thinking about a cotton blend. I know pastels are all the trend this season, but they’re not really for me so I’ve been thinking about doing it in off-white instead.
I was hunting around the Internet looking for potentials when I spotted this new cotton and silk blend yarn from Sublime. A lot of the jumpers I fall in love with, but can’t afford are blended with silk or cashmere, so I was quite excited to find this yarn! At £5 for 50g it was more expensive than I was hoping to pay, but EXACTLY what I was looking for! Luckily for my bank balance I wasn’t too crazy about the colours so I didn’t have to pine too much!
I carried on searching, and I’m really glad I did, as I then found this Wendy Supreme Luxury Cotton Silk DK. It has 10% less silk compared to the Sublime yarn, but it’s also cheaper, at £4.99 for a 100g ball! I also REALLY like the white. It’s not too white and not too yellow, perfect!
The Robin pattern is for a 4ply yarn, but I think it would take forever to knit a whole jumper in 4ply so I’ve decided to do it in DK instead. The pattern has tension at 30 stitches per 10cm and the Wendy yarn is 22 stitches per 10cm. I want the jumper to be a bit baggier than the picture in the pattern, so I’m going to knit the smaller size in the DK and this SHOULD produce the size that I want. I will also need to keep an eye on the length to make sure it doesn’t end up too long or too short!
When substituting yarn, the trickiest bit I find is deciding how much yarn to buy, especially when the yarn is discontinued. The yarn used in the pattern, Robin Tricel-Nylon Perle came in 25g balls (I had assumed they were 50g balls, which is why I was so worried about the cost!). The modern Robin 4ply comes in 100g balls which have 390m. The pattern requires 14 x 25g balls, which equals 1365m if you use the modern version as a guide. The Wendy yarn comes in 201m balls, which, based on this calculation would mean I’d need 7 balls.
I’m always sceptical about my yarn conversion calculations, so I found this Wendy knitting pattern which is knit in a DK and is also a bit holey, and this uses 7 balls for the size I’d want, so I think I’ll order 8 for this project just in case!
Exciting! I really can’t wait to get going. I just hope I like it once it’s finished! I shall keep you updated! Let me know if you can see any glaring errors in my yarn substitution calculations!!
A while ago I knitted this lovely boy’s hooded cardigan for my friend’s little boy, using this very versatile Sirdar pattern. The pattern has four designs for ages 0 – 6 years, and is suitable for boys or girls.
I prefer, where possible to knit with natural fibres so I swapped the suggested yarn of Sirdar Snuggly DK and chose instead King Cole Merino Blend DK. Being fairly new to knitting and swapping one yarn in a pattern for another, I didn’t think to check the difference in length between the two yarns, and so ended up using 6 balls of the King Cole in comparison to the 4 suggested for the 1-2 year size, which really bumped up the cost with all the extra postage charges. I wont be making that mistake again!
The cardigan has a lovely ribbed pattern across the shoulders and for the whole of the hood, and as my first attempt at knitting a garment, I was feeling pretty pleased with myself after joining the front sides and back, until I realised that I’d mixed up the left and right front sections and had also made another mistake in the shaping of the shoulders, on both sides!! Dutifully I took it all apart and unravelled the two front sections to knit again, making sure this time that I followed the pattern correctly, and also attached the right sides!
The rest of the knit went fairly smoothly (minus a call to ma to clarify a few points!) and once it was all finished and stitched toegether, I felt really pleased! This is also the first time that I’d tried blocking and I’m really pleased I went to the extra effort as it fluffed up the knit and regulated the shape. I used flattened bin bags on an mdf board and I was surprised at how quickly it dried, even though it did still smelt a bit ‘sheepy’.
I finished off the cardigan with these gorgeous toggle buttons from ebay and voilà, two extra balls of yarn, an extra month and plenty of bad words later it was finished!
Even though the cardigan was slightly on the large side, my friend and her boy loved it which made it all the more worth while.