Dog Tote

 

Hello!

I hope you’re having a great weekend!

The weather has been glorious this weekend, so it was a bit of a shame that I chose this weekend to finally use my dog fabric Christmas present. I still made sure I spent plenty of time in the garden though, so I don’t feel liked I missed out on the sun too much!

I saw this dog print fabric on the M is For Make website before Christmas and instantly fell in love. I am totally dog crazy, so this had my name all over it!

IMG_0038.JPG

I created a pattern from some old paper, and made the design 41cm high and 36cm wide, with a 1.5cm seam allowance all the way around. The fabric was slightly frustrating as the print on the fabric is not inline with the weave. It took me AGES to work this out, as the dogs weren’t lining up as I wanted. In the end I decided to use the line of the pattern as my straight edge, which seems to have worked fine. I’m a very inexperienced sewer, so I have no idea if this is right/normal!

Tuck In Seam

Once I had cut out the fabric pieces, I used the over locking stitch on my sewing machine across the tops of the two pieces and then folder them down again to make the edge neat and sewed it in place. After looking at a bought tote bag I realised this was a mistake as I needed to fold the top down after the sides were stitched together, so I had to unpick it. I’m glad I did though, as I’m really proud of the finish across the top and where the sides join.

IMG_5080

In hindsight I wish I’d allowed for a greater seam allowance at the top, as I folded it down twice to make it look neater, and this could have made the bag too short. I decided to use the seam and overlock stitch on my sewing machine though to sew the sides and bottom, which is only about 0.5cm wide so this saved the day. I also did a straight stitch to strengthen this seam.

IMG_0041

For handles I had bought some navy blue webbing, but once the bag was made up I didn’t like it, so used some black, thicker webbing I had in my stash. I stitched 3cm of the webbing to the fabric to make it really strong, and sewed the webbing in place in three different areas. I have no idea if this is the right way to do it, but I liked it! The fabric is natural (I think) and I was really pleased that I managed to get some thread which completely matches so from the right side you can’t really see where the handles are sewn in place.

IMG_0045

Overall I’m so pleased with the bag! It did take me about 4 hours, which seems an incredibly long amount of time, but I feel like I’ve done a really good job and I’ll be using my new favourite tote at every opportunity!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s